Doom. It’s back (not quite yet), but sometime soon, or maybe a little further in the future. Anyway, there wasn’t all that much known about it until now. Thanks to a private press screening new information has emerged.
Some general details from IGN:
- Set outside a massive UAC research facility on Mars as it’s being invaded by the forces of Hell.
- Hellknights, cyberdemons, revenants, mancubii, and other classic monsters were spotted throughout the demo.
- Classic Doom weapons, including the fan-favorite double-barrell shotgun return. Plasma rifle, rocket launcher, and the good old chainsaw were also shown off.
- Go fast. “Doom is not about about taking cover” said executive producer Marty Stratton.
- Doom is powered by IdTech 6, and will be for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. They are “committed” to 1080P at 60 frames-per-second.
- Wonderfully gory close range executions, including special ones for dropping down on enemies from above.
- Revenants now have jetpacks and can hover about while firing rockets at you.
- At least one weapon, the combat shotgun, has an alternate fire mode, which allows you to charge up and release multiple shells in rapid succession.
- Sprinting, double-jumping and mantling are all possible, making for very fluid motion during combat.
- Enemies can teleport in for old-school style ambushes
- Dying results in a crazy fatality scene depending on what killed you a la Dead Space. Revenants rip your arms off and punch straight through your combat helment.
- Old school mechanics. No reloading your clip, hold as many weapons as you want, health and ammo pick-ups etc. NO REGENERATING HEALTH.
And here are a couple of screenshots to enjoy.